The Department of Applied Physics at Aalto University has proven to do outstanding science: our researchers have received multiple external funding awards.
This page lists the most notable recognitions and funding awards received by the Department of Applied Physics at Aalto University. The funding listed represents projects that are currently in progress, except for the European Research Council section, which mentions completed projects as well.
Academicians of Science
The President of Finland confers the title of Academician of Science on highly distinguished scientists and scholars from Finland and abroad. No more than sixteen Finns may bear the title at a time. Currently, Risto Nieminen has received this recognition.
Aalto-distinguished professor (emeritus)
Academy Professors are awarded Academy of Finland funds for contributing to the development of their own research fields. The funding provides world-class scientists and scholars with the opportunity to practice research work on a fixed-term full-time basis. Academy Professors may carry out their own research plans, lead research teams, supervise young scientists and provide training.
The Department of Applied Physics at Aalto University is currently home to two Academy Professors.
Academy of Finland’s Centres of Excellence
Centres of Excellence (CoE) are at the cutting edge of their disciplines, pioneering new avenues of enquiry and training the next generation of new talent for Finnish research and industry. CoEs are funded by the Academy of Finland and Finnish universities, research institutes, the private sector and many other sources. The funding is granted for a 6–8 year term.
At present, the Department of Applied Physics at Aalto University includes the following Centres of Excellence.
Aalto University coordinates the following Centres of Excellence
- 2018-2025 Academy Professor Jukka Pekola: Centre of Excellence in Quantum Technology
- 2014-2019 Professor Olli Ikkala: Centre of Excellence in Molecular Engineering of Biosynthetic Hybrid Materials
Previously, the Department of Applied Physics at Aalto University included the following Centres of Excellence.
- 2012-2017 Academy Professor Päivi Törmä: Centre of Excellence in Computational Nanoscience
- 2012-2017 Academy Professor Jukka Pekola: Centre of Excellence in Low Temperature Quantum Phenomena and Devices
The European Research Council funding (ERC)
ERC funding is awarded to leading researchers for pioneering work at the frontiers of science. Scientific excellence is the sole criterion on the basis of which ERC frontier research grants are awarded.
Funding awards are categorised according to professional stage: Starting Grants are for top researchers with 2 to 7 years experience after PhD, Consolidator Grants for those with 7–12 years experience after PhD, and Advanced Grants support established researchers known as leaders in their respective field of research. In addition, ERC grant recipients may apply for Proof of Concept funding as a recognition of the innovative potential of their ERC work and to support its commercial use.
ERC Advanced Grant funding
- Professor Pertti Hakonen: Quantum devices in topological matter: carbon nanotubes, graphene, and novel superfluids
- ERC Proof of Concept
- Professor Olli Ikkala:
Biomimetics for Functions and Responses
Field driven materials
- Academy Professor Jukka Pekola: Superconducting quantum heat engines and refrigerators
- Academy Professor Päivi Törmä: Condensation in designed systems
- Professor, emeritus Grigory Volovik: From Topological Matter to Relativistic Quantum Vacuum
ERC Consolidator Grant funding
- Senior scientist Mikko Möttönen: Quantum Environment Engineering for Steered Systems
Professor Robin Ras: Superslippery Liquid-Repellent Surfaces
- Professor Mika Sillanpää: Cavity quantum phonon dynamics
ERC Starting Grant funding
- Professor Sebastiaan van Dijken: Electric-Field Control of Magnetic Domain Wall Motion and Fast Magnetic Switching: Magnetoelectrics at Micro, Nano, and Atomic Length Scale
- Professor Peter Liljeroth: Atomically precise nanoelectronic materials
- Senior scientist Mikko Möttönen: Single-Photon Microwave Devices: era of quantum optics outside cavities
- ERC Proof of Concept