Soft Matter and Wetting Facilities
The Molecular Materials research group is located in Nanotalo. We share the facilities with Molecular Materials group, and we have the equipment of the Nanomicroscopy Center (NMC) at our disposal.
All equipment is available for external users. Contact details of the responsible persons are listed below (Note: Each facility has a different contact person).
Microscopy and X-ray
Contact: Professor Janne Ruokolainen.
The equipment of the Nanomicroscopy Center include e.g. three TEMs, two SEMs, two AFMs, two STMs, and small- and wide-angle X-ray scattering.
Spectroscopy and Analysis
Our spectroscopy and analysis instruments include two polarizing optical microscopes with camera, UV-Vis-NIR, FT-IR, rheometer, AC/DC conductivity measurement, and SQUID magnetometer.
High speed camera
Contact: mika.latikka [at] aalto [dot] fi (Mika Latikka)
- 16 Gpx/s throughput
- 16,600 fps with maximum resolution (1280*800)
- 646,000 fps with reduced resolution
- Extremely high light sensitivity (ISO:64,000 T)
Contact: Nanomagnetism Group
MPMS-XL (Quantum Design). Run jointly with Center for New Materials.
- 7 Tesla magnet
- AC susceptibility
- Sample rotator
- Resistivity and Hall effect package
Contact: Teemu Myllymäki
Nicolet 380 FT-IR
- Single reflection diamond ATR accessory (Smart Orbit)
Contact: Jukka Hassinen
Perkin Elmer Lambda 950
- Wavelengths 190 – 3200 nm, with integrating sphere 190 – 2600 nm
- Polarizer/depolarizer drive accessory
- Bohlin VOR shear strain controlled rheometer
- Custom-made quartz tooth geometry equipped with optical analysis module for rheo-optics
- Heating stage
- Bohlin CS-50 stress controlled rheometer
- Heating stage
- AC conductivity:
- Wayne Kerr 6440B AC analyzer
- LabVIEW software
- DC conductivity:
- Keithley 195A Digital Multimeter, Keithley 2400 Sourcemeter
- TestPoint software
Leica Polarized Optical Microscope
Contact: Tuukka Verho
- Leica camera with possibility to take still images and video
Nikon Type 104 Optical Microscope
- JVC 3-CCD Color Video camera
Contact: tommi.huhtamaki [at] aalto [dot] fi (Tommi Huhtamäki)
- Oxygen and water plasma
- 13,57 MHz, 100 W Generator
- Chamber width ~10 cm, length ~30 cm
We have a well-equipped wet chemistry lab with several fume hoods, high-vacuum ovens, pressure annealing ovens, electrospinning apparatus, spin-coating, centrifuge, automated LbL machine, sputtering, etc.
- Sample trimmer: Leica EM Trim
- Ultramicrotome: Leica 125 UCT with cryo: Leica EM FC S
- Sputter: Emitech K100X/K350/K950X, carbon and metal sputtering, glow discharge unit
- Plasma cleaner
- Vitrobot: automated vitrifying equipment for cryo-TEM sample preparation
- Spin coater: Headway Research PWM32 for making thin films
- Electrospinner: self-built semiautomatic device for mesofiber preparation
- Centrifuge: Beckman Coulter Allegra X-22R
- Sonicators, both bath-type and tip
- Ovens: vacuum, pyrolysis, pressure annealing etc.
- UV reactor: Rayonet RPR-200
- Automatic Layer-by-Layer deposition